Weapons and Weapon Properties
- With each attack you must spend one piece of ammunition.
- Some ammunition can be used as an improvised weapon.
- You typically recover half of your ammunition spent after a battle (no ammunition is recovered from firearms or energy weapons).
- When used against a target that benefits from armor, you add the # bonus to your attack roll. This bonus cannot exceed the target’s AC minus (-)10, not counting AC bonuses from Dexterity.
- A critical fumble results on a natural roll represented by # or lower on the attack roll.
- Weapons with this property remain attached to target on a hit.
- The target or a creature within 5 feet of them can attempt to remove the barbed weapon with-out harm by taking an action to make a DC 10 Dexterity or Medicine skill check. On a successful result the weapon in removed. On a failure, it is still removed, but the target takes damage from weapon upon removal.
- If the attacker still wields the weapon, they can remove it as an action. This deals automatic weapon damage (no modifiers) to the target.
- This is a damage type.
- Can make a normal, single-target attack, burst fire versus a single target, or spray a 10-foot-cube area within normal range with shots.
- Normal single shots use normal rules and ammunition.
- Single target burst: You gain advantage against a target within normal range. Uses 10 pieces of ammunition.
- Area burst: Each creature in the area must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or take the weapon’s normal damage. Uses 10 pieces of ammunition.
- # is applied to AC.
- Whenever you use this weapon to make an attack, the defensive bonus is lost until the start of your next turn.
- When wielding two defensive weapons, only the highest bonus is applied to your AC.
- When a weapon with the disarming quality would deal damage, you may instead choose to deal no damage and force the target to make a DC 10 Strength saving throw. On a failure, the target is disarmed.
- Weapon is essentially two melee weapons joined as one. Each end retains the properties of the original weapons. These cannot include two-handed weapons.
- If both ends have the light property, this weapon can be used to make a two-weapon fighting attack and benefits from the two-weapon fighting style.
- Double weapons require two hands to use but do not have the two-handed property, and cannot benefit from features that affect two-handed weapons. Similarly, weapons with the two-handed property cannot be given the double property. If the weapon has reach, only one attack per round can benefit from this property.
- This is a damage type, standard for laser guns.
- On a hit, the attacker can choose to impose the restrained condition on the target until the target escapes. To escape, the target or another creature within 5 feet must spend an action to make a successful DC 10 Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. Alternatively, the entangling weapon or its trailing line can be destroyed by dealing the weapon 5 or more slashing damage (AC 10). A weapon with the entangling property can only be attacked when it is restraining a target.
- Targets two size categories larger than the attacker or targets with formless bodies are immune to this property.
- For weapons with a trailing line, like the whip or harpoon, the target can move, but only in the direction of the attacker. Furthermore, if the target remains entangled by a weapon with a trailing line, the attacker can use their action to initiate a Strength contest and, if successful, can pull the entangled target up to 10 feet towards them.
- You can substitute Dexterity for Strength for the attack bonus and damage die modifier when wielding these weapons.
- Each time the minimum damage is rolled with this weapon, it takes a temporary -1 penalty to damage rolls. If the penalty drops to -5 before the weapon is repaired, it is permanently destroyed.
- Attacks with these weapons made whilst mounted or in cramped conditions have disadvantage.
- Small creatures always have disadvantage if they attempt to use these weapons. (As do medium creatures trying to wield weapons made for large creatures. Basically, this property applies to weapons made for those 1 size category above your own).
- These weapons cannot be used in the off-hand.
- If wielding a light weapon in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with another light weapon in your off-hand. The off-hand attack does not add your ability score to its damage.
- If you attempt to fight with one-handed weapons in this manner all attacks are made with disadvantage.
- You can fire only one piece of ammunition or make a single attack only with this weapon, regardless of the number of attacks you have.
- It requires 2 hands to load a weapon.
- Loading (2) requires 2 actions or bonus actions to load.
- This is a damage type.
- Range shown is in feet. The first value is the weapon’s normal range. The second is its maximum range. When attacking at a range beyond the normal value you have disadvantage on the roll.
- Attacking with a ranged weapon whilst a threatening enemy is within 5ft. imposes disadvantage on your attack roll.
- This weapon adds 5ft. to your reach when you attack with it.
- You have disadvantage to attack foes within 5ft. of you with this weapon.
- Once per round, when a creature uses the Dash action (or benefits from extra movement) to move within the reach of your held weapon with the readied property, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against that target with that weapon. If you hit this attack automatically becomes a critical hit.
- You cannot use this feature if you have a hostile creature able to take actions within 5 feet of you.
- A limited number of shots can be made with these weapons before they need to be reloaded. You must then spend an action or bonus action to reload the weapon.
Round Flight Path
- This is a property applied to some weapons with the thrown property.
- Determine a circular flight path from the attacker to the target, as if they were on opposite sides of the circle. (So the distance from the attacker to the target is also needed for the ‘width’ of the flight path).
- If there are other creatures or solid objects along this flight path on the way to the intended target, then these intervening creatures or objects become the target instead.
- If the thrown weapon hits the target, it falls into the target’s space as normal.
- If the weapon misses the target it must have a clear flight path on the opposite side of the ‘flight circle’. If there is not then the weapon targets the next creature or object along the flight path.
- If nothing is hit throughout the entire flight path, the thrown weapon returns to the attacker, who can sped a bonus action to catch it, otherwise the weapon lands within 5 feet of the thrower.
- This quality can only be applied to weapons that deal slashing damage. A weapon with this quality loses the Armor Penetration quality.
- If you hit a target not wearing any armor and with no natural armor with a melee weapon attack, you can spend your bonus action to deal an extra damage dice against that target.
- If you hit a target wearing light armor with a melee weapon attack, you can use your bonus action to shred their armor, reducing their AC value by 1. Armor reduced to AC 10 is destroyed. Target’s are then considered unarmored for future attacks.
Set for Charge
- This weapon may be set for a charge.
- This is a damage type.
- Shot from these weapons spreads out, increasing the chances of hitting.
- Attacks versus targets within normal range are made at advantage and deal full damage.
- At long range this weapon deals half damage (half the dice), but may target two targets within 5 feet of each other.
- These weapons can be thrown with one hand.
- If the weapon can be used as a melee weapon, you use Strength for attack and damage modifier (unless it has the Finesse property, then you can choose either as normal). Otherwise you use Dexterity.
- Weapons with this property have a trailing line on the weapon, or have reach and can connect to targets. They must have a means to attack to a target such as the barbed and/or entangling properties.
- When a toggle weapon with the barbed or entangling property hits a target, a trailing line connects the target to the attacker. This line can be broken by a creature that takes an action to deal 5 or more slashing damage against AC 10, or by breaking the line with a DC 15 Strength check.
- The attacker decides how long the toggle line is (up to # feet). A target attached to the line can only move beyond this distance from the weapon’s wielder by making an opposed Strength check against the wielder. If successful, the target can move away. The wielder has two choices if the target moves away: they can simply drop the weapon, in which case it is dragged by the target, or they can spend a reaction to release or pull free the weapon, which then remains in their hands. Pulling free a barbed weapon from a connected target deals the target damage as normal.
- When a weapon with the tripping quality would deal damage, you may instead choose to deal no damage and attempt to shove the target. Your Strength check has advantage when taking the shove action in this way.
- This weapon must be wielded using two hands.
- If you make a melee attack with this weapon and miss, you become unbalanced, granting advantage to the next attack against you before the beginning of your next turn. You may spend a bonus action to recover your balance.
- This weapon can be used in one or two hands.
- When used in two hands you use the die in parentheses for damage.
- Small creatures must wield these items in two hands, but use the standard damage. (If they attempt to use the weapon in 1 hand, it is treated has having the Heavy property).
- Weapons with the wrap-around property ignore shield AC bonuses and bonuses from weapons with the defensive property.
Axes and Picks
|Simple Axes and Picks||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Axe – tool||1d8 slashing||Heavy, Two-handed, Unbalancing||1gp||6lb.||Euro (doloire, woodcutter’s, wagoner’s); Roman (dolabra)|
|Handaxe/Throwing||1d6 slashing||Light, Range (20/60), Thrown||5gp||2lb.||Africa; America (tomhawk); India (bhuj); Japan (masakari, ono), Indonesia (kapak)||5e PHB|
|Mattock||1d8 bludgeoning & slashing||Heavy, Two-handed, Unbalancing||10gp||7lb.||En5ider|
|Pick – hand/light||1d6 piercing||-||4gp||2lb.||PFCR|
|Pick – miner’s||1d10 piercing||AP2, Awkward (2), Heavy, Two-handed, Unbalancing||2gp||10lb.||En5ider; 5e PHB|
|Martial Axes and Picks||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Axe-Spear||1d8 slashing (axe) or 1d6 piercing (spear)||Double Heavy; Spear – uses Spears group proficiency, Versatile (1d8), cannot be thrown as a spear||15gp||6lb.||Dwarf (urgosh)||En5ider; PFCR|
|Battleaxe||1d8 slashing||Versatile (1d10)||10gp||4lb.||Africa (shoka); Athas (carrikal – twin bladed, Fragile, Brutal (rerolls 1’s on damage)); China (ch’iang, daggeraxe – deals piercing damage instead); Egypt (khetan); Euro – North (Dane axe); Greece (labrys); India (parashu, keteriya, tabar, tungi); Japan (masakari, ono); Maritime (boarding axe); Persia (sagaris, tabarzin, ‘saddle axe’); Phillipines (panabas); Viking (bearded – as a bonus action can hook on target’s shield to provide Wrap-Around for next attack vs the target before the target has their turn, Dane axe)||5e PHB|
|Buckler-Axe||1d6 slashing (axe) or 1d4 bludgeoning (buckler)||Light; Buckler uses Shields group proficiency, Defensive 1, (Benefits that allow you to use your shield, such as to push or add to Dexterity saves, cannot be used with bucklers)||15gp||3lb.||Dwarf||3e Complete Warrior|
|Double battleaxe||1d8 slashing (both ends)||Double, Heavy, Versatile (1d10)||25gp||5lb.||Orc||En5ider; PFCR|
|Greataxe||1d12 slashing||Heavy, Two-handed||30gp||7lb.||Euro-North; Orc||5e PHB|
|Pick – War/Crowbill||1d8 piercing||AP2||5gp||2lb.||India (zaghnal)||5e PHB|
|Swordaxe||1d8 slashing||AP1, Unbalancing, Versatile (1d10)||10gp||5lb.||3e Arcana Unearthed|
|Waraxe||1d10 slashing||AP1, Heavy, Unbalancing||30gp||5lb.||Dwarf||PFCR|
|Simple Blowguns||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Blowgun||1 piercing||Ammunition (darts, 1gp, 1 lb. per 50), Range (20/60)||10gp||1 lb.||African, Meso-American||5e PHB|
|Martial Blowguns||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Blowgun – Long / Greater||1d4 piercing||Ammunition (darts, 1gp, 1 lb. per 50), Range (30/90), Two-handed||20gp||4 lb.||African (great), Meso-American||3E Oriental Adv|
|Mouth Darts||1 piercing||Ammunition (darts, 1gp, 1 lb. per 50), Range (10/30)||1gp||-||Japan (fukimi-bari)||5e PHB|
|Simple Bows||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Shortbow/ Hunting bow||1d6 piercing||Ammunition (arrows, 1 gp, 1 lb. per 20), Range (80/320), Two-handed||25gp||2 lb.||Any||5e PHB|
|Martial Bows||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Greatbow||1d10 piercing||Ammunition (arrows, 1 gp, 2 lb. per 20), Heavy, Range (150/600), Two-handed, Disadvantage unless Strength is 13+||50 gp||3 lb.||Africa (Kenya)||3e African Adv.; 1e Dragon Mag 189|
|Longbow||1d8 piercing||Ammunition (arrows, 1 gp, 1 lb. per 20), Heavy, Range (150/600), Two-handed||50 gp||2lb.||Anywhere||5e PHB|
|Longbow – composite||1d8 piercing||AP1, Ammunition (arrows, 1 gp, 1 lb. per 20), Heavy, Range (120/480), Two-handed||100 gp||3 lb.||Japan (daikyu, drop the Heavy property)||PFCR|
|Shortbow – composite||1d6 piercing||AP1, Ammunition (arrows, 1gp, 1 lb. per 20), Heavy, Range (120/480), Two-handed||80gp||3 lb.||Arabia; China (gong-jian); Japan (yumi)||En5ider; PFCR|
|Variant Ammunition||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Arrow – blunt||-1 die type bludgeoning||Range (-40 feet from normal range)||10 gp per 20||2 lb.||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 279)|
|Arrow – flight||normal||Range (+20 feet to normal range)||10 gp per 20||1 lb.||Elf||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 279)|
|Arrow – signal||-1 die type||Awkward (3); Designed to whistle or emulate a bird’s call||10 gp per 20||2 lb.||Elf||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 279)|
|Arrow – smoke||-1 die type||Awkward (3); Range (-20 feet from normal range); Trails smoke and creates a cloud ina 10-foot-cube where it lands||20 gp per 20||4 lb.||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 279)|
|Simple Brawling Weapons||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Gauntlet/Brass Knuckles||1d3 bludgeoning||Light||2gp||1 lb.||Japan (kote); Roman (cestus)||3e UA|
|Gauntlet-spiked||1d4 piercing||Light||2gp||2 lb.||3e UA|
|Improvised (small)||1d4 any||Fragile, Light, Range (20/60), Thrown||-||-||-||5e PHB|
|Improvised (med)||1d6 any||Awkward 2, Fragile, Range (10/30), Thrown||-||-||-||-|
|Improvised (large)||1d8 any||Awkward 3, Heavy, Two-handed, Unbalancing||-||-||-||-|
|Knife||1d4 piercing or slashing||Finesse, Light, Range (20/60), Thrown||1gp||1 lb.||Any; Africa (telek)|
|Unarmed Strike||1 bludgeoning||Light||-||-||-||5e PHB|
|Wrist razors||1d4 piercing or slashing||Light||2gp||1 lb.||Athas||4e DSCS|
|Martial Brawling Weapons||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Nekode||1d4 slashing||Finesse, Light||2gp||1 lb.||PFCR;3e Oriental Adv.|
|Punching dagger||1d6 piercing||Light||2gp||1 lb.||India (katar;scissor katar or panther claw(10 gp) – add Defensive 1, Disarm)||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 281);4e DSCS|
|Sai||1d4 bludgeoning||Defensive 1, Disarm, Finesse, Light||2gp||2 lb.||Japan (also jitte (with 1 guard))||En5ider; 3e Oriental Adv|
|Siangham||1d4 piercing||-||3gp||1 lb.||Japan||PFCR|
|Sansaar||1d4 piercing||Finesse, Light, Range (20/60), Thrown||special||special||Devotees of the Dragon||PFCR|
|Tonfa or Whacking Stick||1d4 bludgeoning||Defensive 1, Light||2gp||1 lb.||Africa (knobkerrie, iWisa); Japan (tonfa)||PFCR; 3e Oriental Adv|
|Tortoise Blade||1d6 piercing (punching dagger) or 1d4 bludgeoning (buckler)||Light; Buckler uses shields group proficiency, Defensive 1, (Benefits that allow you to use your shield, such as to push or add to Dex saves, cannot be used with bucklers)||10gp||3 lb.||Ivory Isles||4e DSCS; 3e Complete Warrior|
Clubs and Staves
|Simple Clubs and Staves||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Club/Cudgel||1d4 bludgeoning||Light||1sp||2 lb.||ANY; Africa (knobkerrie); Maritime (belaying pin); Phillipines (muton)||5e PHB|
|Club-throwing||1d4 bludgeoning||Light, Range (20/60), Thrown||2gp||2 lb.||Africa (small knobkerrie)|
|Sap||1d4 bludgeoning||(Foes reduced to 0 hit points are unconscious)||1gp||2 lb.||PFCR|
|Quarterstaff||1d6 bludgeoning||Double (and Light when used as a double weapon), Versatile (1d8)||2sp||4 lb.||ANY; China (bang gun); India (lathi); Indonesia (toya); Japan (bo); Korea (bong)||5e PHB|
|Sling Staff||1d4 bludgeoning||Fragile, Two-Handed (see Thrown and Slings for ranged)||1gp||4 lb||Halfling (hoopak)|
|Martial Clubs and Staves||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Greatclub||1d8 bludgeoning||Heavy, Two-Handed||2sp||10 lb.||China (chang bang); India (gada); Japan (tetsubo)|
|Morningstar/Spiked club||1d8 bludgeoning and piercing||AP 1||15gp||4 lb.||5e PHB|
|Simple Crossbows||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Light Crossbow||1d8 piercing||AP 1, Ammunition (bolts, 1gp, 1 lb. per 20), Light, Loading, Range (80/320), Loading, Two-Handed||25gp||5 lb.||Africa-Congo; China (nu)||5e PHB|
|Martial Crossbows||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Hand Crossbow||1d6 piercing||Ammunition (bolts, 1gp, 1 lb. per 20), Light, Loading, Range (30/120)||75gp||3 lb.||5e PHB|
|Heavy Crossbow||1d10 piercing||AP 2, Ammunition (bolts, 1gp, 1 lb. per 20), Heavy, Rof 1, Loading, Two-Handed, Range (100/400)||50gp||18 lb.||5e PHB|
|Repeating Crossbow||1d8 piercing||AP 1, Ammunition (bolts, 1gp, 1 lb. per 20), Awkward 2, Reload (6 shots), Two-Handed, Range (80/320)||100gp||8 lb.||En5ider; 3e; PFCR|
|Three-Shot Crossbow||1d8 piercing||AP 1, Ammunition (bolts, 1gp, 1 lb. per 20), Awkward 2,
Reload (3 shots), Two-Handed, Range (80/320)
|Variant Ammunition||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Bolt-thunder||-1 die type bludgeoning||Range (-40 feet from normal range); Creatures within 10-feet of impact must make a DC 12 Constitution save. On a failed save they are deafened (save at the end of each turn to remove). If a creature is the target, they also suffer 1d6 thunder damage on a failed save. Unattended objects suffer 1 point of damage in the burst.||50gp each||1/2 lb.||Dwarf||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 279)|
- Bladed flails deal slashing damage but gain the Awkward (2) property.
- Spiked flails (morningstars) gain the Awkward (2) property but gain AP 1 and deal piercing damage as well as bludgeoning damage. 3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 304).
|Simple Flails||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Ball & chain||1d6 bludgeoning||Awkward 1, Heavy, Trip, Unbalancing, Wrap-Around||2gp||8 lb.||En5ider|
|Flail – Light/Grain/Tool||1d4 bludgeoning||Fragile, Trip, Wrap-Around||2gp||2 lb.|
|Martial Flails||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Flail||1d8 bludgeoning||Trip, Wrap-Around||10gp||2 lb.||China (2-section staff)||5e PHB|
|Flail – Heavy||1d10 bludgeoning||Heavy, Trip, Two-Handed, Wrap-Around||15gp||10 lb.||3e Arcana Unearthed|
|Nunchaku||1d4 bludgeoning||Disarm, Finesse||5gp||2 lb.||Japan||En5ider; PFCR|
|Three-section staff||1d6 bludgeoning||Disarm, Trip, Wrap-Around||8gp||4 lb.||China||3e Oriental Adv|
Hammers and Maces
|Simple Hammers and Maces||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Hammer – tool||1d4 bludgeoning||-||1gp||3 lb.||5e PHB|
|Hammer – light/throwing||1d4 bludgeoning||Light, Range 20/60), Thrown||2gp||2 lb.||5e PHB|
|Mace||1d6 bludgeoning||-||5gp||4 lb.||ANY; China (suan tou fung); Indonesia (gada)||5e PHB|
|Martial Hammers and Maces||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Maul||2d6 bludgeoning||AP 2, Heavy, Two-Handed, Unbalancing||10gp||10 lb.||5e PHB|
|Warhammer/ Warmace||1d8 bludgeoning||Versatile (1d10)||15gp||2 lb.||5e PHB; 3e Complete Warrior|
Hooks and Sickles
|Simple Hooks and Sickles||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Gaff/ Hafted hook||1d8 piercing||Barbed, Heavy, Reach, Trip, Toggle (max 10 ft.), Two-Handed||4gp||5 lb.||Asia (ankus, elephant goad – may have a spear head on end); Ogre (can also deal slashing damage)||3e Dragon Companion (Mag 331)|
|Hook||1d4 piercing||Barbed, Finesse, Light||3gp||1 lb.||Maritime|
|Sickle||1d4 piercing or slashing||Light||1gp||2 lb.||Asherati/Desert (eagle claw); China (lian); Greece; Indonesia (badik); Japan (kama); Ogre (ogre hook)||5e PHB|
|Martial Hooks and Sickles||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Alhulak||1d6 piercing and slashing||Fragile, Trip, Versatile (1d8)||15gp||3 lb.||4e DSCS|
|Cahulaks||1d6 piercing and slashing||Awkward 2 (when thrown), Double, Entangling (when thrown), Fragile, Range (20/60), Thrown, Trip, Wrap-Around (when thrown)||25gp||3 lb.||4e DSCS|
|Mangler||1d8 slashing||Fragile, Light||30gp||2 lb.||3e Arcana Unearthed|
|Sickle Sword||1d6 piercing or slashing||Wrap-Around||5gp||3 lb.||Africa – north east (shotel); Egypt (sickle sword); Euro-East (sica)||3e African Adv; 1e Dragon Mag 189|
|Simple Long Blades||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Long blade||1d8 slashing||Versatile (1d10)||15gp||3 lb.||Africa – Dohemey (nyek-ple-neh-toh/razor sword, add the Serrated quality); Africa – north west medieval (kaskara); China (jian); Euro (cusped falchion); Euro (longsword, can also deal piercing damage); Euro (sabre, +25gp, add Defensive 1); India (khandar); Japan (katana); Korea (gum); Marine (shark-toothed longsword, add the Serrated quality); Nepal (ram dao); Roman (spartha); Orc (falchion)||5e PHB|
|Martial Long Blades||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Double Longsword||1d8 slashing||Double||50gp||6 lb.||PFCR; 3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 281)(bladed staff)|
|Greatsword||2d6 slashing||Heavy, Two-Handed||50gp||6 lb.||Arabia (great falchion); Burma (dalwel); Dacia/Thrace (falx, add Wrap-Around); Japan (nagamaki, no-dachi); Orc (great falchion); Scotland (claymore)||5e PHB|
|Khopesh||1d8 slashing||Trip, Versatile (1d10)||10gp||5 lb.||Dhothraki (arakh); Egypt|
|Swordaxe||1d8 slashing||AP 1, Unbalancing, Versatile (1d10)||10gp||5 lb.||Euro (cleaver falchion)||3e Arcana Unearthed|
|Simple Natural Weapons||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Bite – Fangs||1d4 piercing||Finesse|
|Bite – Shredding||1d4 slashing||-|
|Bite – Crushing||1d4 bludgeoning and piercing||Entangling|
|Bash / Hoof / Slam||1d4 bludgeoning||-|
|Claws||1d4 slashing||Finesse, Light|
|Gore / Horns||1d4 or 1d6 piercing||Unarmed (for short horns)|
|Tentacle||1d4 or none||Entangling, Reach, Trip, Wrap-Around|
|Simple Polearms||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Scythe||1d8 slashing||Awkward 2, Heavy, Two-Handed, Wrap-Around||5gp||6 lb.||Greece||En5ider; PFCR|
|Martial Polearms||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Fauchard||1d6 piercing/1d8 slashing||Heavy, Reach, Entangling (with piercing attack only), Trip, Two-Handed||20gp||6 lb.||Euro||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 331)|
|Glaive||1d10 slashing||Heavy, Reach, Two-Handed||20gp||6 lb.||China (chan, da dao); Japan (naginata)||5e PHB|
|Guisarme||1d8 slashing/1d6 piercing (hook or spear point)||Barbed (hook), Heavy, Reach, Trip, Two-Handed||20gp||6 lb.||Euro||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 331)|
|Halbard||1d10 slashing/1d8 piercing||Heavy, Reach, Set for Charge, Two-Handed||20gp||6 lb||China (chi chi); Japan (bisento); France (voulge – no spear point, remove Set for Charge property||5e PHB; 3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 331)|
|Crescent Blades||1d8 slashing (both ends)||Double, Heavy||50gp||6 lb.||Japan (lajatang); Thri-Kreen (gythka)||5e MM; 3e Oriental Adv; 3e Complete Warrior; 3e Sandstorm|
|Man Catcher||None or 1d6 piercing||Entangling (DC 12 Str or Dex save to escape, damage on escape), Heavy, Reach, Trip, Two-Handed||8gp||7 lb.||Japan (sasumata)||3e OA; 3e Complete Warrior|
|Pike||1d8 piercing||Awkward (2), Heavy, Reach (+10ft), Set for Charge, Two-Handed||25gp||8 lb.||Euro (awl pike); Greece (sarissa)||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 331); 2e Age of Heroes|
|Pole-Axe / Bardiche||2d6 slashing||AP 1, Awkward 2, Heavy, Reach, Two-Handed, Unbalancing||25gp||7 lb.||Africa (elephant axe); Scotland (lochaber axe)||En5ider; 3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 331|
|Pole-Pick||2d6 piercing (pick head) or 1d6 piercing (spear head)||AP 2 (pick head), Awkward 2, Heavy, Reach, Two-Handed, Unbalancing||25gp||7 lb.||Euro (bec de corbin ’crow’s beak’); Switzerland (lucern hammer – remove pick head and add a 1d8 bludgeoning head with AP 2)||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 331)|
|Ranseur||1d8 piercing||Heavy, Disarm, Reach, Set for Charge, Two-Handed||20gp||6 lb.||Euro (ranseur; spetum or partisan – both can deal 1d6 slashing damage)||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 331)|
|Simple Shields||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Buckler||1d4 bludgeoning||Defensive 1, Light, (objects may be held in off hand such as torches; benefits that allow you to use your shield, such as to push or add to Dexterity saves, cannot be used with bucklers)||7gp||2 lb.||PFCR|
|Small Shield||1d4 bludgeoning||Defensive 1, Light, Occupies Off-Hand||5 gp||4 lb.||Roman (parma)||PFCR|
|Martial Shields||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Buckler-Axe||1d6 slashing (axe) or 1d4 bludgeoning (buckler)||Defensive 1, Light, (objects may be held in off hand such as torches; benefits that allow you to use your shield, such as to push or add to Dexterity saves, cannot be used with bucklers)||15gp||3 lb.||Dwarf||3e Complete Warrior|
|Medium Shield||1d6 bludgeoning||Defensive 2||10 gp||6 lb.||Greek (aspis, clipeus, hoplon); Roman (clipeus, scutum)||5e PHB|
|Toroise Blade||1d6 piercing (punching dagger) or 1d4 bludgeoning (objects may be held in off hand such as torches; benefits that allow you to use your shield, such as to push or add to Dexterity saves, cannot be used with bucklers); Punching dagger uses Brawling group proficiency, Light||10gp||3 lb.||Gnome; Halfling||4e DSCS; 3e Complete Warrior|
|Simple Short Blades||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Dagger / Dirk||1d4 piercing||Finesse, Light, Range (20/60), Thrown||2gp||1 lb.||ANY; Burma (dhaw); China (bi shou); India (khanjarli); Japan (tanto); Roman (pugio); Thailand (mit)||5e PHB|
|Knife||1d3 piercing or slashing||FInesse, Light, Range (20/60), Thrown||-||-||ANY; Africa (telek)|
|Kukri||1d4 slashing||Finesse, Light||-||-||Africa (scrub knife)||PFCR|
|Martial Short Blades||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Double Shortsword||1d6 slashing||Double, Finesse, Light||50gp||6 lb.||PFCR; 3e Arcana Unearthed (swordstaff)|
|Foil / Epee||1d6 piercing||Finesse, Light||10gp||1 lb.||Elf (elven lightblade)|
|Main-Gauche||1d4 piercing||Defensive 1, Disarm, Finesse, Light||10gp||1 lb.||En5ider|
|Rapier||1d8 piercing||1d8 piercing or slashing||Defensive 1, Finesse, Fragile||25gp||2 lb.||Elf (elven thinblade)||5e PHB|
|Scimitar||1d6 slashing||Finesse, Light||25gp||3 lb||China (dao); Elf (elven fighting sword); India (tulwar, shamshir); Indonesia (parang); Japan (ninja-to, wakizashi); Philippines (bolo)||5e PHB|
|Shortsword||1d6 piercing||Finesse, Light||10gp||2 lb.||Africa (flyssa); China (duan jian); Greece; India (kris); Korea (dan sang gum); Nepal (kora); Roman (gladius)||5e PHB|
|Short Chopping Blade / Single Edged Blade / Machete||1d6 slashing||Light||10gp||3 lb.||Africa (long scrub knife); Berbers (flyssa); China (butterfly sword); Maritime (cutlass – gains Defensive 1); Saxon (seax)|
|Stiletto||1d4 piercing||(AP 1 with sneak attack or surprise), Light||10gp||1 lb.||Euro|
|Simple Spears||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Fishing Spear||1d4 piercing||Barbed (no extra damage on removal), Fragile, Reach, Range (30/120), Thrown||2gp||3 lb.||En5ider|
|Javelin / Short Spear||1d6 piercing||Range (30/120), Thrown||5sp||2 lb.||ANY||5e PHB|
|Harpoon or Barbed Spear||1d6 piercing||Barbed, Heavy, Ranged (15/60), Thrown, Toggle (harpoon only; max 10 ft.), Versatile (1d8)||5gp}4 lb.||Africa; Greece (harpoon); Maritime||En5ider|
|Spear||1d6 piercing||Range (20/60), Thrown, Versatile (1d8)||1gp||3 lb.||ANY||5e PHB|
|Martial Spears||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Broad-Bladed Spear||1d6 piercing and slashing||Range (15/45), Thrown, Versatile (1d10)||15gp||4 lb.||African (leaf spear – sometimes has Serrated quality, paddle spear – no short range for throwing)||3e African Adv; 3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 304);1e Dragon Mag 189|
|Double Spear||1d6 piercing||Double, Range (20/60), Thrown, Versatile (1d8)||20gp||4 lb.|
|Dragon Paw||1d6 piercing / 1d6 piercing||Defensive 1 (with off hand), Double||25gp||5 lb.||Japan (sang kauw)||3e Oriental Adv|
|Lance||1d12 piercing||AP 2 (mounted), Awkward (when on foot), Heavy, Mounted, Reach, (Two-Handed when on foot)||10gp||6 lb.||Japan (uma-yari); Roman (contus)||5e PHB|
|Lance – Tourney||1d6 bludgeoning||Awkward (when on foot), Fragile (on a 1-3), Heavy, Mounted, Reach||-||-|
|Long-Bladed Spear||1d8 piercing or slashing||Versatile (1d10)||15gp||4 lb.||African (iklwa)||3e African Adv|
|Longspear / Light Lance||1d10 piercing||AP 1 (mounted), Heavy, Reach, Set for Charge, Two-Handed||20gp||6 lb||China (mao, qiang); Greece (xyston); Malaysia (lembing); Roman (hasta)||5e PHB (as pike)|
|Pilum||1d6 piercing||Fragile (any but a 1), Range (20/60), Thrown (if a wooden shield is hit, the wielder gains no benefit from it until the pilum is removed using an action (DC 10 Strength check). A thrown pilum is bent and takes an action to straighten it for another throw)||2gp||4 lb.||Roman||3e Dragon Compendium (Mag 331)|
|Trident||1d6 piercing||Brace, Disarming, Range (20/60), Thrown, Versatile (1d8)||5gp||4 lb.||China (tiger lance, san cha); Greece; Japan (dai tsuchi); Roman (fuscina)||5e PHB|
Thrown and Slings
|Simple Thrown and Slings||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Dart||1d4 piercing||Finesse, Range (20/60), Thrown||5cp||1/4 lb.||Greece||5e PHB|
|Sling||1d6 bludgeoning||Ammunition (stones – 1 lb. per 20), Awkward 2, Range (30/120), Loading||1sp||-||ANY||5e PHB|
|Sling Staff||1d4 bludgeoning||Ammunition (stones – 1lb. per 10), Range (50/150), Loading, (see Staffs for melee)||1gp||4 lb.||Halfling (hoopak)|
|Martial Thrown and Slings||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Atlatl||1d4 bludgeoning||(can be used with a spear or javelin. Adds loading property, but adds +1 to the javelin/spear’s damage for attack).||5gp||2 lb.||America; Australia (woomera)||3e Sandstorm|
|Bolas||1d4 bludgeoning||Awkward 2, Entangling, Range (20/60), Thrown, Trip||5gp||2 lb.||Africa||En5ider; 3e African Adv|
|Boomerang – bird hunting / throwing stick||1d4 bludgeoning||Finesse, Light, Range (60/180), Round Flight Path, Thrown||5sp||1 lb.||Africa; America – Great Basin; Australia; Egypt; India (valari – some deal slashing damage)||3e African Adv; 3e Complete Warrior; 3e Sandstorm|
|Boomerang – Large||1d6 bludgeoning||Range (20/60), Thrown, Round Flight Path, Two-Handed||2gp||3 lb.||Africa; Australia (kylee)|
|Shuriken||1d4 slashing||Finesse, Range (20/60), Thrown||5cp||1/4 lb.||PFCR|
|Throwing Blade||1d6 piercing and slashing||Range (20/60), Thrown||7gp||2 lb.||Africa (kuldeba, hunga-munga, mambele, pinga, shongo, trombash)||3e African Adv; 3e Sandstrom; 1e Dragon Mag 189|
|Throwing Disc / Wedge / War Quoit||1d6 slashing||Finesse, Fragile, Light, Range (30/120), Thrown||1gp||1 lb.||Giant; India (chakram); Kreen (chatkcha – add Round Flight Path if thrower is proficient)||5e MM; 3e Arcana Unearthed; 3e Oriental Adv|
|Variant Ammunition||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Sling Bullet||+1 die type bludgeoning||-||2cp per 20||2 lb.||5e PHB|
|Simple Whips, Nets, and Chains||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Chain||1d4 bluedgeoning||Awkward 2, Double, Entangling, Heavy, Reach, Toggle (max 10 ft.), Trip, Wrap-Around||2gp||3 lb.||3e Oriental Adv|
|Net||-||Awkward 2, Entangling, Range (5/15), Toggle (optional; max 15 ft.), Two-Handed, Wrap-Around||1gp||3 lb.||Roman (retiarius)||5e PHB|
|Scourge||1d8 slashing||Awkward 2, Disarm, Wrap-Around||10gp||2 lb.||Greece||3e Complete Warrior|
|Martial Whips, Nets, and Chains||Damage and Type||Properties||Cost||Weight||Cultures||Sources|
|Chain and Grapple||1d4 bludgeoning (chain) or 1d4 piercing (grapple)||Awkward 2, Double, Entangling, Heavy, Reach, Toggle (max 10 ft.), Trip, Wrap-Around||10gp||1 lb.||Japan (kawanaga)||3e Oriental Adv|
|Chain and Sickle||1d4 piercing or slashing (sickle) or 1d4 bludgeoning (chain)||Awkward 2, Double, Entangling, Heavy, Reach, Toggle (max 10 ft.), Trip, Wrap-Around; Sickle uses Hooks and Sickles group proficiency, Light||8gp||3 lb.||Japan (kasuri-gama)||3e Oriental Adv|
|Chain and Shortspear||1d6 piercing (spear) or 1d4 bludgeoning (chain)||Awkward 2, Double, Entangling, Heavy, Reach, Toggle (max 10 ft.), Trip, Wrap-Around; Spear uses Spears group proficiency, Versatile (1d8)||8gp||6 lb.||Japan (chijuriki)||3e Oriental Adv|
|Chain – Spiked||1d6 piercing & slashing||Awkward 2, Double, Entangling, Finesse, Heavy, Toggle (max 10 ft.}, Trip, Wrap-Around||30gp||5 lb.||PFCR|
|Chain – Weighted||1d8 bludgeoning||Awkward 2, Double, Reach, Trip, Wrap-Around||15gp||4 lb.||Japan (kau sin ke)||3e Oriental Adv|
|Net – Hooked||1d8 piercing & slashing (& again vs. attempts to escape)||Awkward 3, Entangling, Range (5/15), Toggle (optional; max 15 ft.), Two-Handed, Wrap-Around||10gp||6 lb|
|Whip||1d3 slashing||Awkward 2, Disarm, Entangling, Finesse, Reach (+10 ft), Toggle (max 15 ft.), Trip, Wrap-Around, disadvantage in cramped conditions (like the Heavy property)||2gp||3 lb.||China (pi bian); Greece||5e PHB|